Thursday, April 3, 2014

Brave.

Chapter 2 - Be Brave 

William froze as he saw the house burn to the ground. He was confused and tried to make sense of what all just happened. Police and fire department had already arrived and are putting out the fire. He watched all that. He knew that consulting them about his uncle would be a mistake. Media was also there along with a lot of people. After all, Dr. Christopher was a renowned biologist and an extremely careful doctor who has brought breakthrough procedures and there were talks that he found a cure for Cancer as well. No matter how good it sounds, people were just speculating about that. None of that come to the light of the day. It would have in a given days in the much awaited Internal Conference of Advanced Medicine and Simplified Biology (ICAMSB). But that is not likely to happen with the recent developments in the Walter St. where the doctor's house was burnt down and is feared that he is under the remains. The TV news were flooded with the live telecast. The Police were inquiring in the neighborhood trying to find the reason as they came to know that the house was completely empty. William stood as a spectator trying hard to make sense of it and he wished it to be bad dream. 

"Hey Kid, were you here when this came down?", asked a husky guy in a navy suit with a police badge on his belt. William woke up from his disbelief as the officer repeated his question. 

"Umm, No Sir. I am just coming from the tuition. Was caught up in homework", he managed trying to sound convincing. 

"Why are you sweating? Are you okay?"

"Yes Sir. I was just running home as it was getting late for dinner and then I saw fire."

"Where do you stay? I could give you a lift".

"That's okay Sir, I just live round the corner. Thank you Sir", and started leaving slowly trying to hide his agony inside of him. 

The officer went on to ask the remaining people in the neighborhood. William collapsed on the bench inside the church that has been his early home a long time back. He was tired and a little nauseated due to the fire fumes he had been inhaling. William woke up hours later to the large bell that resonated through the empty walls of the Church. He so very much hoped for the last night to be a bad dream. And he still couldn't believe all this happened. He was scared. He had no idea what he should do. Where he should go. He couldn't control his emotions and cried his heart out sitting at the corner of the bench as the sun made its way though the painted glass which illuminated the church in different colors that were presented in the painting. His tears slowly trickled down his cheeks and fell on the brown letter diary. It caught his attention. He wanted to know everything, and this was no better time to start making sense of things. He flicked through the diary as if searching for something hidden in the diary. Indeed, there was something hidden. It was an envelope on it was written a name "Alex Wilson". William remember to have heard that name before, long before. But why was there an envelop in that name ? He stopped at the first page of the diary where there was written in calligraphy font, "The Story of Arthur Wilson". William was confused even more. Why would his uncle give a complete stranger's diary to him. He was having second thoughts whether to continue reading it because he knew reading other's diary is not a good virtue. But then he thought why would his uncle tell him to read when I was ready? I can see no better time to read it. May be this person holds a clue to all that had gone down the previous night.

January 3rd, 1997

Today is the happiest day of my life. I still can't believe it. But the most wonderful thing happened to me. I am going to marry her, the love of my life, Natalie. I never knew what would have happened if I had taken the step back and never proposed to her. I just can't imagine my life without her. I am the luckiest guy in the whole wide world. 
His excitement about the  day, how he proposed her and all that took another two pages. William skimmed through the pages as fast as he could. Because he still didn't find any relevance to any of this. Then there were a few pages of his work, and then there was this name which caught William's eye as he flicked the pages without even reading and he started reading that. 

23rd April, 1997

I met Dr. Zackary Joseph  Christopher. A true visionary and is intelligent beyond his age. I have a lot to learn from him. I have been following him and his work for the past few years. Today was the first time I met him and he asked me for my help in something that could change the world. It was a very inspiring idea and thought. And I would like to help in every way possible. I am honored to have got the chance to work with him.

15th February, 1999

I have been holding my breath for this day. And this has finally happened. You were born and I can't contain my excitement. And I have decided to name you Alex Wilson. We, I and Natalie are so happy for you. I want to see you grow, I want to see you make your first steps, run, fall, turn into a teenager and then pursue your life the way you wanted. I will always be there for you. I want to you give you a better world and I am in work with Dr. Christopher. I am busy and working hard, but I promise to be there for you when you need me. 

20th January, 2000

I have seen young Alex crawling and within months he will start walking and I want to be there for him. My work will not end anytime soon but we are almost there. Just a few complications. But once done, we will be able to change the face of the earth.


30th January, 2000

I am in the hospital. I was called upon urgently from the hospital when Natalie learned about the breathing problems that Alex was having. I couldn't sleep that night. And they weren't allowing me to see him even though I was telling that I was a doctor. The doctor's said that he has Leukemia. I just couldn't believe that. He hasn't even said a word yet and this is just not possible. It isn't possible. It isn't....

(Undated)

I have worked overtime to find out a way. The purpose of our research was also a little streamlined with the project I was working on. But I opted to add a few more hours and am trying to find a cure. I just can't let the cancer defeat me, my son. Be brave son, I am trying my best. I have made a little progress after 5 months of work but something is still missing. What is it? What is it? 

(Undated)

Today there was a great discovery in the field of science. Last night was a phenomenal day as that was the day when the meteors which were supposed to hit the earth didn't hit. The earth's gravitational pull was almost successful in pulling them closer but it was sheer luck that they passed so near from the earth. That's what the whole world knew. But actually, the story was covered up. Huge rocks of meteors crashed few miles north of the laboratory I am working in. It was an abandoned place covered in hills and volcano. So, no one ever took notice. But as we were the first responders and being the scientists who study and research, those samples were brought to the laboratory.

The looked normal but that wasn't it. All scientific procedures that were available in the laboratory failed to identify the substance it has or what it contained. It was after long discussions it was decided that they will be sent to the states for further study of meteorological substances. Everything was sealed and sent. But I was able to hide a small piece of rock. 

(Undated )

Little did I know about the rock that I managed to keep under my wraps of what it contained. We have been looking at the wrong places for what it was. I have found out a way to make this work and use it in the field of medicine. This was the missing piece we had been looking for. I was about to tell Dr. Micheal Cage about this little discovery of mine when I stumbled across something. 

There is something happening in the Lab. There was a secret basement under the lab where we had been working in. I have a bad feeling about all this. Something big is happening without my knowledge. And if what I saw was really what I saw then we are in trouble. I conveyed the same to Dr. Christopher who didn't believe me at first and said that I was being paranoid. I know there is something happening under this laboratory. So I convinced him to come along with me. I snooped into the lab in the lunch hours when there was no one in the lab. What I saw shocked me to my wildest imagination. They were using our research and our work to do all these experiments. They are ruining the whole science. They have no idea what this could lead do. It would do more damage than any good. I am a scientist who studied on different life forms and I am striving to make people's lives better. And this was not what I signed up for. And what shocked me more were those rock samples of the meteor, they were still here. 

17th May, 2001

Finally. It worked. I have almost found out the cure for cancer, or a particular type. It has passed a few preliminary tests and this is it. If this passes tomorrow's test, then we have a bright future. 

There diary was empty for a lot many empty pages. William didn't understand. He flipped through all the pages trying to find some continuation since that day. But nothing. The pages were torn. He asked himself who could have torn them? And then he say the envelop titled Alex Wilson. And there was a letter in it. 

Dear William

If you are reading this, I fear that a lot worse has happened. May be I could never see you. But I have to tell you something. Your name is Alex Wilson. I changed your name to my grandfather's name just to protect you from the people who might come searching for Alex. You dad told highly of you. And it pains me to say that you parents died tragically in a car accident which I believe was the work of these monsters whom I am working for. I have never been around you much. But I believe you were the first one to be treated out of Cancer by your father. He was younger to me but he was brilliant, a visionary. I remember him saying that you will be a great person one day and told me to pass on a message, "Be Brave". I know you are still a kid, but I am sorry. If it were any different, I would have chosen it. There is an address at the back of this page. Please go there and tell my name to Uncle Benedict, whom you met on out first fishing trip. He will help you out and stay out of trouble. And I am quoting your dad once again , "Be Brave". 

Love,
Uncle Joseph

{ To be continued .... }


The second day of April comes with a Brave new topic which is in continuation to the first days' Abandon

A2Z Challenge 

P.S.: "Oh my", "Oh my", was your reaction, right? I know. I know. The journey just got a little more bumpy. Is it way too bumpy? Just drop a comment to let me know and yeah don't unfasten your seat belts. Not just  yet. And yes, this post was extremely lengthy. :/

#A2ZChallenge 
#Brave
#B#Day2

6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, I only read the first few paragraphs as there's not a lot of time to spare as I blog hop around the A to Z participants. Enjoyed what I read though.
    Happy A to Z. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its' okay. I can understand.
      Thanks for dropping by. :)

      Thank You. :)

      Delete
  2. Aww, :) keep it up!
    Have to say though, the second I read "Be Brave" I was got reminded of the Divergent book, what her mom tells her :B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sure? :P
      Wow! That a great compliment coming from you.
      Why, Thank You. :)

      Delete

So, what do you think ?

About Me

My photo
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
| Writer | Photographer | Split Personality Disorder | Foodie | Music | Art | God-Fearing Atheist | Movies | Golf | Soccer | Dance | Mentally Stable Sociopath |